Everywhere you look, there are household hazards for elderly people. If your aging mom or dad has experienced challenges in staying safe in their own home, it is time to have a serious conversation about how to keep them safe and help them get through life’s daily tasks.
Many elderly adults are in denial about their declining abilities, both physical and mental. It’s up to you as their adult child to identify any areas where they need help and then hire an elder care provider to step in and perform those duties.
Here is a senior safety checklist that you can use to evaluate how your aging mom or dad feels about their ability to live safely and securely in their own home:
- What health problems do you currently have?
- What does your doctor say about your health?
- Do you ever accidentally skip your medications?
- Do you struggle to remember what pills to take and when to take them?
- Is it hard for you to get to your doctor’s appointments?
- When driving, do you find it difficult or challenging?
- Are you able to get to the grocery store regularly enough?
- Are you experiencing any near misses or lots of honking from others when driving?
- Does your home still fit your needs since you aged?
- How frequently do you go up and down the stairs every day?
- Is there anything about your home that you wish you could change that would make life easier?
- Can you keep up with housekeeping and laundry?
- Do you struggle to fix meals for yourself?
- How are you managing with keeping up on yard work?
- Are your pets being properly cared for?
- Do you always hear the phone ringing or a knock at the door?
- Would you feel better with a security system?
- Are you taking good care of your hygiene?
- Do you feel unsteady or afraid of showering or bathing alone?
- Do you struggle to get dressed in the mornings?
- What about your morning routine is the most difficult for you?
- What about your evening routine is the most difficult for you?
- What about your entire week is the most difficult for you?
- What is the scariest thing that you face each week?
- How would you feel about hiring some help?
It can be quite difficult to get through this list of questions with an aging parent who might be terrified of up-ending their life and living somewhere else.
However, if you can get true answers from your elderly mom or dad, you can hone in on the areas where they struggle and let go of the areas where they seem to be doing fine.
Hiring an elder care provider is the ideal solution to help aging parents that don’t want to do too much to disrupt their lives but who may be struggling with daily care tasks and keeping up with the home duties. Elder care providers are professional and experienced, and they can relieve a lot of stress in an elderly person’s life.
If you or an aging loved-one are considering hiring Elderly Care in Upper Darby, PA, please talk to the caring staff at Better Care Home Health Services LLC today. Serving individuals and their families in Philadelphia, Delaware, Montgomery and Bucks counties. Call Today: (267) 766-5218
Better Care Home Health Services is a family-owned agency dedicated to providing excellent and comprehensive home health care to individuals and families of Philadelphia, Delaware, Montgomery and Bucks counties. We are honored that God has blessed us with the opportunity to positively impact and change people’s lives. It is our mission to ensure that we provide the very best of care to our clients.
Latest posts by Abiba Namen (see all)
- Tips for Handling the Stress When You’re a Family Caregiver - December 5, 2018
- Better Care Home Health Services Can Help… - November 28, 2018
- EDUCATE, ADVOCATE, CURE~ Diabetes Awareness Month - November 27, 2018